Sam Tomkins leads the Catalans Dragons to a resounding victory over Warrington | super league

Catalans Dragons inflicted Warrington’s seventh defeat of the season with a marred second half in Perpignan.

Sam Tomkins returned early from his broken leg to torment Wolves with a dynamic display from the full-back, including eight crucial shots on goal that proved decisive in what had been a tense contest until three very late attempts.

Warrington had nerves of steel early in this game as they held the Dragons 6-6 at halftime, but five second-half tries from Mitch Pearce, Julian Bousquet, Gil Dudson, Fouad Yaha and Arthur Mourgue saw the Dragons Dragons worthy winners.

Tomkins was the first to cause trouble on the scoreboard with a ninth-minute penalty goal after Warrington second row Oliver Holmes was penalized for a high tackle on Mourgue.

But Wolves scrum-half George Williams turned the tide with two breaks that led to winger Connor Wrench scoring the first try of the game into the right corner, Peter Mata’utia scoring from the touchline on the conversion to put the 6-2. .

Young French center Matthieu Laguerre soon crossed the line for the Catalans, but referee Liam Moore ruled that he had not grounded the ball correctly. However, there was nothing wrong with Tom Davies’ touchdown in the 23rd minute after he picked up a clever inning pass from center Tyrone May to level the scores.

It was the introduction of giant prop Sam Kasiano off the bench that really fired up the Dragons as he and fellow ringside replacement Dudson had Warrington on the shelf with a series of punishing, powerful runs.

But the Catalans were unable to convert the pressure into points and the two teams remained tied 6-6 at the break.

The Dragons surged after the break with an early penalty from Tomkins, but Warrington hit back with a 70-metre break from Wrench, which ended with a Tomkins tackle.

Play was stopped when Warrington fullback Josh Thewlis required attention from an apparent injury and the Catalans were forced off the goal line. Pearce then towered over Thewlis and stepped forward Peter Mata’utia to level the score once again from a penalty.

The Catalans then moved the ball to the other end of the field where Pearce stepped aside and spun over the line, needing video evidence from the referee to prove he had grounded the ball, and Tomkins added the conversion to make it 14- 8 in the 57th minute. .

Fast guide

How do I sign up for breaking sports news alerts?


  • Download the Guardian app from the iOS App Store on iPhones or the Google Play store on Android phones by searching for ‘The Guardian’.
  • If you already have the Guardian app, make sure you have the latest version.
  • In the Guardian app, tap the yellow button at the bottom right, then go to Settings (the gear icon), then Notifications.
  • Turn on sports notifications.

Thank you for your comments.

The Dragons caught Thewlis in their own in-goal area to force another fall between the posts and Warrington went further back with a penalty in the 65th minute when Jason Clarke was deemed to interfere with play-the-ball.

Indiscipline cost Warrington again when Tomkins was eliminated with a high shot and from the resulting field position prop Bousquet found a gap down the line to score from close range. Tomkins’ successful conversion stretched the lead to 22-8 with 10 minutes left.

Kasiano then burst into the middle of the field to free Dudson, who slid over the line under the posts, and Tomkins added the conversion for 28-8.

Kasiano then broke loose again to slot winger Yaha into the left corner, the try making him the club’s all-time leading try scorer with 88 touchdowns before Yaha became the provider for French scrum-half Mourgue, who completed the scoring in the final. minute.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.